Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Room of One's Own


My kid share a bedroom. It seems that among the people we know this is becoming (or "has" become) an unususal thing. I personally think it's good for my daughters. It teaches them a sense of sharing and tolerance. They are 12 & 15 and in some ways it would be great for them to have their own space. But we just don't have it. I grew up sharing a room with one of my three brothers until I was probably 10 or 11 and a lot of my best memories are of him and me goofing off after we went to bed. We would listen to my mother playing piano and pretend the headboard was a piano keyboard and play along with her. One night he got stung by a wasp which was inside his pajamas and it was all so sad and traumatic for both of us. My parents (who for some strange reason didn't smoke) would have smoke-filled parties (this was the 60s) and the smoke would waft up to our room through the register in the floor which was the only source of heat. We would peak down through the register to observe the adults. They would be silly and giddy and so would we. Then one of my other brothers wanted his own room downstairs (no one slept downstairs) which freed up a space in another room which gave me my own room. From then on, I had a big room with two beds all to myself.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Hi! I randomly found your blog because we had some similar interests.

I think you would like to check out my blog about women's and health-

http://asizableapple.blogspot.com

Hope to see you around the site!
- Dana

Anonymous said...

I shared a bedroom with my younger brother for years because my aunt and 2 cousins lived with us and there wasn't room. I too have memories of giggling in the dark and telling ghost stories to each other...when I did get my own room at 10 years old, it was wonderful and lonely all at the same time...

up until last year, our 2 boys shared a room too =o)


http://sweetspicestory.blogspot.com/

Beth Lemon said...

I shared a room with my brother for a long time until my parents bought their first house.

We had a lot of fun.

Great post and thanks for sharing.

Our kids (that we don't have yet) will share a room too because we just don't have the money to build an addition.